Body wash is a hygiene product most people use daily, but it can be very drying on the skin, particularly in the winter or if you enjoy very hot showers.
Using an after-shower moisturizer is one way to re-hydrate but moisturizing body washes will help stop it from drying out in the first place and are an easy way to prevent dryness and itchiness when you just want to wash and go.
What Makes a Great Body Wash?
When comparing different body washes, there are a few ingredients you should look out for. If you can spot these ingredients on a new product you’re considering, you’ll know that it’s probably going to be hydrating and gentle.
- Natural oils – Dry skin after a hot shower occurs because the natural oils within it have been dissolved and washed away. Replacing these oils with natural ingredients such as coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba seed oil will help to lock in moisture and help the skin feel soft.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is a plant containing a natural gel that has been used traditionally for centuries to treat burns and improve the health of skin and hair. Aloe has anti-inflammatory effects, which can help with conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Glycerin – You can often find glycerin in the baking section of your local grocery store and if you can eat it, you know it can’t be bad for your skin. Glycerin is an effective moisturizer and even helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Milk or Yogurt – Dairy products contain natural fats that help to cleanse and hydrate the skin. They also have a natural lightening effect and can be used to calm sunburn, making products containing milk or yogurt ideal for use after sun exposure.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal helps to relieve itchiness/irritation and is a natural moisturizer.
Equally, there are certain ingredients that can be very drying and should be avoided. These include:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – a chemical foaming agent that can cause irritation.
- Triclosan – an antibacterial ingredient that can cause problems for people with sensitive skin.
- Synthetic dyes and perfumes – can cause allergies and irritations.
- Parabens – preservatives that may be carcinogenic.
Where to Buy
Body washes are widely available and you should be able to pick up a version without any of the nasties listed above in any grocery store or drug store.
They are made with natural oils and ingredients that are wonderful for people with naturally dryer skin. These natural products tend to be made by smaller brands and might not be as widely available as household names. Try looking for them in smaller independent stores and health food stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market.
If you have particularly sensitive skin, you’ll probably want to stick with the brands that you know don’t irritate it further. Once you’ve found one that works with your skin, it’s best to stick with it.
If your favorite brand isn’t available locally, you should be able to pick it up online, either directly from the brand website, or from sites like Drugstore.com and Amazon.
1. Kiehl’s Cream de Corps Nurturing Body Wash
Kiehl’s have used all the knowledge and ingredients used to produce their bestselling moisturizer and put it into their product.
Hydrating jojoba butter, shea butter, and corn-germ oil help the skin to maintain its natural moisture levels and as there are no extra fragrances added, and it is particularly suitable for those with very sensitive skin.
2. Weleda Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash
Weleda are a company that produce skin products made with only natural and organic ingredients that come highly recommended by those with allergies and other related complaints.
This gentle cleanser contains coco-glucoside, sesame oil, and sea buckthorn berries and is naturally fragranced with energizing citrus essential oils.
3. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Yogurt Body Wash
This budget option is widely available and has a beautiful vanilla and apricot scent. Aveeno products are specially formulated for sensitive skin and it contains oatmeal and yogurt for their naturally hydrating properties.
You’ll find your skin becoming softer within a few days of use and the moisturizing effect continues for hours after you shower.
There’s no need to deny yourself the pleasure of hot showers if you have sensitive skin but it’s worth taking the time to find a good quality body wash that is gentle and won’t dry out your precious skin.
Any of the above three options are highly recommended and a pleasure to use and there are many other options available to try out and see which one works for you.